Sunday, February 2, 2014

Boat ride to Macapá!

13 January 2014
Mission Week 31, Brazil Week 25
Zona Macapá--Igreja Santa Rita II
E aí.
   This week I got transferred to the equator! You don't know what serving a mission is until you go to the equator. Ha, ha, just kidding!
    Surprisingly enough, it really isn't THAT hot here. I arrived in the rainy season, so it's cloudy and raining almost all the time. I was actually cold yesterday in the rain believe it or not. When the sun comes out though. it's pretty brutal, but bearable.
    I traveled here by boat! They didn't tell me until the last minute though, so I left some things that I could have taken with me...nothing important though. I still really have nothing :) Love it!
    The trip by boat was 26 hours. Everyone crams in and sets up hammocks from the ceiling. You get to know people really well. It was wonderful to be able to feel the breeze and the fresh air. I loved serving in Agulha, but being pretty urban, it was definitely lacking in the fresh air department. I'm not sure that I would ever do well living in a city permanently.
      I slept the better than I have in months as well, so that was great.
      There were 3 other elders traveling with me: Elder Bell, Elder Bishop, and Elder J. Santos.
Elder Bell was a visa waiter for a while in the US, and looked pretty worn down/like he was suffering from culture shock, but I think he'll be all right. Elder B. is fresh out of the CTM (MTC-Missionary Training Center) in Provo.  He had the same MTC teacher as me -- Irmão N. good stuff. He's super excited about everything.
       Elder J. Santos is going to train/be DL/white wash/open an area all at the same time.  Not envious at all of him. We talked a lot on the trip (lot's of time with not a whole lot to do), and he's muito legal (very cool-slk).
      Anyway, my area is good, and I love my companion. There's a lot of work to be done here. All the members (but seriously) live in the Elder's side of the ward boundries, so we don't get a whole lot of referrals. When I got here, there weren't really any investigators progressing as well, sooo.... EMBORA TRABALHAR (Off to work-slk)! Never easy, but always worth it.
 Paz, bençãos e amor (peace, blessings, and love)!
Sarah
All photos courtesy of JRdS 
Leaving Belém, on the way to Macapá!

LEGIT making new friends!

Thank you Elder J. S. for the photos!


No comments:

Post a Comment