Mon, Jul 29, 2013 3:31 pm EST Week 7 Oi from Brasil!
Wow so much to write about...
That
24 hour travel day was fun...I felt disgusting and looked it, but
that's okay. My trainer is Sister M. from São Paolo. She's great!
Very
patient. I'm helping her learn English, and she's helping me with
Portuguese. There are two other sisters in our apartment. No one really
speaks English...so it's easy to feel isolated, but its also a good
thing...I'll learn faster. They're all really great though. It just
takes
a lot of effort and concentration for me to be social...Ha,ha!
My area is A. Its about an hour by bus outside of
Belém. It's definitely different than the US. There's a lot of poverty, but
the people are happy. There's always some sort of party going on. They
loveee to blast their music! People drive crazy here. All bets are off
with traffic rules. Love it.
I tried Açai for the first time this week! It doesn't have much
flavor, but of course it tastes good when you add sugar! They eat it
here with farinha, or with rice. or with beans...that was different. So
much rice and beans! I'm learning to like powdered milk too. I guess they
don't do regular milk? Also cookies are a staple. Wafer cookies and
biscuit-like cookies. Tell Grandma they have good bread! Hard crust,
soft middle.
I could say more about the area, but I need to get to the good
stuff! We had Zone Conference on Thurs. so my first real day was Friday.
I got to meet most of our investigators/teach some. It was great! I'm
having a bit of trouble understanding the people here...They talk fast
and the accent is different, but I'll get it, its only the first week
after all.
Yesterday we brought one of our investigators, Helena to
church. Her nephew came too, and we were talking to him afterwards, and
it turns out he's already read part of the Book of Mormon, so we went and
taught him later that evening. The lesson went all right. He has a lot of
questions, and he's been to a lot of churches. At one point he started
talking about Dante's Inferno? I was pretty lost for a bit. Anyway, we'll
see how that goes.
Yesterday we went and visited a woman who they'd already
taught, but she hasn't been coming to church. We taught her the
Restoration over again, and I got to teach her about the First Vision,
along with some other things. I started crying pretty bad when I was
reciting the First Vision. I felt dumb for crying so much, but the
Spirit
was really strong. I know she felt it too. After that she committed to
work towards baptism after she received an answer. It was really
special.
Anyway, no more time, but I'm really happy here. It's definitely
difficult with my lack of language skills, but that's okay. I know that I'm receiving divine assistance every day.
Also! The Zone Leaders asked me to give a presentation at our meeting on Friday... I think the Elders have a sense of humor...
Sarah this is all so great! I know you're going to do great things. You're so brave and will have so many stories after this. I'm keeping you in my prayers. Best, Sarah Gusky Kemer
Dear Sarah, she can't check this until she comes home, but I am writing her a little every day, and copying any comments or things to her in the letters I send twice a week. Thank you for your kind comment! I know it will mean so much to her that she has your prayers with her! I love the scripture in 2 Kings 6:16, 17, where the angels are with the Prophet. I hope that she has the Angels watching over her. Another of my favorites is D&C 84:88 https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/84.88?lang=eng That is one I take comfort in (my mother's heart!)
Sarah this is all so great! I know you're going to do great things. You're so brave and will have so many stories after this. I'm keeping you in my prayers. Best, Sarah Gusky Kemer
ReplyDeleteDear Sarah, she can't check this until she comes home, but I am writing her a little every day, and copying any comments or things to her in the letters I send twice a week. Thank you for your kind comment! I know it will mean so much to her that she has your prayers with her! I love the scripture in 2 Kings 6:16, 17, where the angels are with the Prophet. I hope that she has the Angels watching over her. Another of my favorites is D&C 84:88 https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/84.88?lang=eng That is one I take comfort in (my mother's heart!)
ReplyDelete