Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Oi!! Como vai? 18 June 2013 Provo, Utah Missionary Training Center


Photo:  Uncle Phil, Aunt Jenny, Sarah, Aunt Karen

Oi!! Como vai?

I'd write more in Portuguese, but I really don't have tons of time.
The MTC is great! The hardest day for me was the the second day/first full day--probably because we didn't get any gym time. Nao bom. That was a hard day, but it ended well :)
And speaking of gym time, JOYFUL NEWS! In the fitness center, they have ERG MACHINES! So happy! I got to row yesterday! Super fit, no big deal.
My companion is Sister D. from Washington. I love her already! We work so well together! We get along soo well! Same with the other two sisters in my district, Sister B. and Sister S.. They all get my humor, which is WONDERFUL. We laugh so much. mostly at lunch though, of course.
We taught our first lesson in Portuguese last Friday. It actually went pretty well. The second one was even better, and we keep getting better every lesson we teach. Portuguese is coming really well for me (relatively). Remembering which words are the same as Spanish and which ones are just similar can be tricky, but it's good. All the Spanish I took is really helpful. All the grammar/verb tenses are pretty much the same, so that has been great. It definitely gives me a step up knowing how to conjugate correctly (for the most part). Todo minhas oracaos are in Portuguese; I can officially pray in 4 languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish and German. what?? Ha,ha it's pretty great. just thought of that.
I've seen a ton of people from my student ward at BYU. My escort on Wednesday was Sister Alayna J, going to Peru, who lived in my apartment complex last semester.
Church was great on Sunday. The meetings were split up, which I actually really liked. The 1st counselor in the general young women's presidency came and spoke to us for Relief Society--SO GOOD. We had a devotional later that night, and then we watched a talk by Elder Bednar: Character of Christ. Probably now one of my favorite talks of all time. I loved the distinction he made between testimony and conversion. Conversion signifies more than just belief, but implies a change in who you are--a change towards becoming more like Christ. If you can ever find it, you should read it. Just beautiful. It really re-enforced my determination to continue to strive to become more Christ-like in losing myself in the service of others--always turning outward when our natural inclination is to turn inwards.
We got to go to the temple this morning as a district! That was great. The Provo Temple is SO beautiful. I felt the spirit so strongly in the Celestial Room. Really just the perfect pick-me-up for the rest of the week. I'm sad that it will be closed for maintenance in a few weeks.
Guess what? Our zone gets to wake up at 6 every morning instead of 6 30! We're "guests" here, so we have to accommodate everyone else's schedules. We still go to bed at the same time though...so just a 1/2 hour less sleep. I probably average 6.5-7 depending on how easily I fall asleep. I've been good since the first two nights though. The tiredness only really hits me during "siesta time" (2-4), but it's been good. Most of the time I have all the energy I need, and if I'm feeling tired, I just get over myself. There's not enough time to waste it being tired! even though we're so busy all day preparing lessons, practicing teaching, learning the language, studying, etc. it still feels like there's not enough time to get everything done! Love it though.
Utah is so dry. But the weather has been nice still.
Anyway, I'm running out of time!
paz e bencaos!
Sister Sarah Kemer

No comments:

Post a Comment